Sunday, 22 November 2009

Fun in the sun!

So, fun things to do in the desert include ...

1. bouncing around in a 4WD - it's really tiring to walk across soft sand, and Wadi Rum is BIG!




2. sand dune sledging - or for the really cocky, sand dune boarding, but seriously fast bum sliding on the board was good enough for me!




3. walking, hiking, rock-climbing - but be warned, the people here seem to have no sense of danger and classify anything that isn't actually completely vertical as a 'scramble' with no need for anything namby pamby like ropes ...



4. getting all historical and pretending to be Lawrence of Arabia - this is apparently the remnants of his house and the view from it to where the Bedouin would have camped is just stunning ...


5. staying in a Bedouin camp - complete with guest room, indoor fire and many many blankets ...

2 comments:

  1. These tales and sharings are incredible Jeanne - what an amazing insight (so first hand) into a world so fantastically different to the one I see/live by/experience.

    What a totally incredible experience to be having on many levels, and although not intentional on your behalf maybe - I find it very thought provoking - it gets me all philosophising some-how.

    This is one reason why blogs are so fascinating and brilliant. You are so far away yet I can share this with you so seemingly close . . .

    Big love, and thinking of you my dear!

    Amelia.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm loving the blog experience, a way to share my world and feel closer to everyone that are so far away ... there's actually so much to talk about, I could bash away every day!

    Loving your blog too lovely, talk about thought-provoking! Whereas mine is still pretty much a travelog, mainly because I don't want to jump into any conclusions about 'what people are like' until I've met a few more and am more confident that i know what they're talking about! There will doubtless be some commentary on women in Arabic society though ... one for you to ruminate on!

    Big love XXX

    ReplyDelete