So my transformation into a one woman environmental catastrophe is complete, as I am now the proud new owner of a four wheel drive ... henceforth to be known as the Jungle Bus, due to her (why 'her'? I don't know) lush dark green colour and ability to tackle almost any terrain. And here she is at the beginning of our first little outing into the hills of Muscat.
I went out on my own this time, so no driving off road into the wadis (river valleys) or onto mountain tracks - not only because it's rainy season and there's a risk of flash floods, but also because I don't know what I'm doing yet with the car, and it's just not a good idea to get too far off the beaten track without backup - even though I do take the satellite phone with me everywhere now, it still makes sense to have others around so we can pull each other out of sticky situations.
A wadi just waiting to be driven ...
My one personal goal while I'm here is to learn how to handle a four wheel drive and be able to reach every nook and cranny - especially now my arthritis has pretty much put mountaineering off limits, at least for now. So, my plan is to find a keen off-roader - there are plenty here - and offer him or her a few beers and lots of gratitude in exchange for a day or two of lessons in how to properly navigate the tracks and riverbeds. Then I won't have to to limit myself to the very nice but very limited tarmaced roads - I may have broken my leg, but the rest of me still craves the quiet places and nature. So, sdventure here I come!
You're a disgrace. That's it - I'm calling someone!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a good trip also, you mentioned you had people staying and were off for a few days. It looks as dry as Jordan there which is such a big difference from the resort-like photos I was getting before!
Hopefully you can get someone to help you learn to drive the beast off-road and up and down wadis like a pro. I can imagine your face doing it too - it would look like your face in that Roman chariot! x