Sunday, 4 March 2012

On a tangent ...

... I was listening to a TED talk today about introverts, and decided that I'd try one of those personality tests - the one I did is based on both Jung and the Briggs-Myers test, which I think a lot of workplace personality tests use. If you have a spare couple of minutes, try it here.

Anyway, according to this test, I am an ENFJ - Extroverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging person. Apparently I share this with a few US Presidents including Obama (yeah!), Reagan (less yeah!) and Clinton (hmmm), and a whole bunch of caring-sharing types including Oprah and the founder of the Red Cross. But what I found really interesting was the lists of jobs recommended for ENFJ types, of which this is a typical example:


Possible Career Paths for the ENFJ:

  • Facilitator
  • Consultant
  • Psychologist
  • Social Worker / Counselor
  • Teacher
  • Clergy
  • Sales Representative
  • Human Resources
  • Manager
  • Events Coordinator
  • Sales Representative
  • Politicians / Diplomats
  • Writers

Scarily, I have done at least half of these jobs, and wouldn't mind a lot of the others (although I'm not sure about the clergy ...). So is there really something in it after all? Am I really such a stereotype? Would love to hear what you think, to try and work out if I'm getting sucked in by psycho-babble boll@#%s or if these tests are actually quite perceptive ...

3 comments:

  1. Just did mine. I was Introverted, Intuitive, thinking & Judging. (Judging & Introverted being the 2 highest scores!)

    I'm Stephen Hawking & Hillary Clinton dontcha know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little known facts about INTJs - "INTJs, like their INFJ counterparts, are among the rarest of the personality types, thought to comprise only 2-3% of the population. More often than not, INTJs carry a y-chromosome, outnumbering INTJ females at a clip of four to one." So, you are a rare jewel in many ways!

      Delete