Thursday, 14 June 2012

Getting the hell out of Dodge

So, the heatwave continues - 45 degrees, 65% humidity etc etc - and so the search goes on for ways to cope. Lesson #2 in 'How to Beat the Heat' feels a bit like cheating, but getting out of the Gulf, even for a short time, is certainly a winner - thousands of Omanis, Saudis, Emiratis, expats and basically anyone who can afford an air ticket can't ALL be wrong. And for those left behind there are benefits too - less cars on the road, cheap deals to keep us here, work pace slowing down for the brave who remain (except me, boo ...)

Orange is 30+, red is 40+ ...
Last week I got to try out the escape tactic with a long weekend in Jordan, which was mainly a chance to catch up with friends but had the added benefit of being a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler - no need for AC! being able to sit outside! I even got to wear a little jumper at night! The Jordanians, of course, were all complaining about how hot it was, but as a seasoned Gulfi I can now use that wry smile that I used to see on the faces of Saudis in Amman in August - hot? if you say so ...

loving a cool beer in the sunshine ...
I made full use of the pleasure of being able to be outside, getting up to all the usual shennanigans - bumping around the desert in a beaten-up old jeep, lots of sitting in nice spots having tea, and food food food galore ...

another nice cuppa
my fave - exploring the desert dunes and peaks
pretty pretty ...
And I got to try a new amazing thing - microlight flying! The flex wing microlight that I used is basically a chair with a lawnmower engine hanging underneath what looks like a handglider wing. I must say that flying a microlight feels like being suspended in an armchair 1000 metres up in the air - but not scary, really! If you ever get the chance, I thoroughly recommend this as a way of seeing the world from a different angle - and it goes pretty fast too, definitely exhilarating!

getting strapped in - although I have had sturdier seat belts on easyjet ...
up, up and away!
Lawrence of Arabia's Seven Pillars from above
Wadi Rum at my feet
getting to peer into those crannies that are normally hidden away ...
safely back down to earth - whoop whoop!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my GOD that looks fun!! What incredible photos. Where do I sign up? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely terrifying, Jeanne, but I'm delighted to live vicariously. Love that you made it back to jumper-requiring Jordan!

    ReplyDelete