My friend Mal and I recently did a little mini-tour of Oman which we nicknamed our 'Sand Tour' - unintentionally, it ended up involving a lot of sand, of different kinds and in different landscapes.
So, it may end up in your ears, up your nose, between your toes and where the sun don't shine, and you may still be shaking it out of your shoes and your rucksack for years afterwards, but here are 10 reasons why I still love sand ...
1. WIND SCULPTURES - the interaction of wind and sand makes for some breathtakingly beautiful landscapes, some of nature's most graceful art ...
2. WET SAND ART - the combination of wet sand, tides and scurrying little creatures also makes for some wonderful patterns and designs ...
 |
| wiggly worm trails |
 |
I don't know what made these;
is it only me that thinks that they look like little sperm? |
3. FEAST OF COLOURS - sand comes in a whole range of colours that I just can't find names for - bronze? ochre? off-white? ...
 |
| From nearly white ... |
 |
| ... through pastel shades ... |
 |
| to deep reds ... |
4. MOVING LANDSCAPES - sand isn't just static; I love the way it shifts and encroaches, changing the landscape from one day to the next ...
 |
| Dunes slowly swallowing posts ... |
 |
| ... and sometimes even the road itself. |
5. IT'S NICE TO WALK ON - walking along the beach or in the desert with soft sand between your toes is just delicious ...
6. IT'S EVEN NICER TO LIE ON - the perfect place for a little lie down, or even a full night's sleep better than anything those silly camping mats can offer ...
 |
| And relax ... |
7. IT'S FUN TO DRIVE IN - oh boy, is it fun to drive in, like driving on snow but with less chance of skidding and the added bonus of dune-bashing!
8. A NATURAL EXFOLIANT - it may be a pain when you get it in every nook and cranny, but why waste money on all those expensive exfoliating masks and scrubs when you can let sand mixed with water or wind do all the work for you ... for free?
 |
Glowing tanned skin,
strictly nature's way ... |
9. CAMELS - OK, not strictly a property of sand as such, but where there's sand, there are usually camels, and I LOVE camels (a much maligned and misunderstood creature) ...
10. SUNSHINE - as a rule, sand and sunshine go hand in hand, and I can never get too much sunshine ... isn't this reason on its own enough for you to love sand too?!
 |
| Chilling with a sandy sunset - lush ... |
You look incredible in that dress - blimey. Who'd have known...
ReplyDeleteLove the photos, pity they aren't bigger. Maybe change your template if you get the chance so we can see bigger pics - they're always amazing but so diddy!
Mike says hi, he's here for a few more days with his big bag of medication poor fella. Really good to see him though. Sorrento was great (again) blog post coming soon once I've gone through a billion photos! x
Well, I do make an effort occasionally ... not always a scruffy hippy!
ReplyDelete