
I have not yet been floating in the Dead Sea, one of those things that everyone is supposed to do when they're in Jordan, although I might have a go when my next visitor comes out in a couple of weeks. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much I want to after my visit to the excellent Dead Sea Panoramic Complex museum, where I learnt that;
- the Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth at over 400m below sea level, which makes it pretty toasty even in winter- it was made by the separating of two tectonic plates, the same split which has created the whole of the Great Rift Valley
- both it's depth below sea level and it's position above a fault line contribute to it's wierd composition; evaporation making it saltier and the fault line throwing up all sorts of strange chemicals that you won't find in normal sea water
- for example, the Dead Sea apparently has 7,800 times the amount of cadium that you would find in normal sea water (yes, the stuff they use to make batteries ...)
- the Dead Sea is disappearing very rapidly because of diversion of water from the Jordan River - the southern section has disappeared almost completely in the last few years, as you can see comparing the map on the right (from 2005) with the satellite image below (2009) ...

Interesting 5 minute BBC report on Dead Sea
Having said that, I have driven along the coastline many times, and there are some pretty unique sights - check these out ...
Lovely mountains tumbling into the blue sea action ...The other thing about the Dead Sea is that there are lots of lovely five star spa complexes along the coast, so even if the sea itself is a bit odd, there are pampering opportunities aplenty. I will make it my duty to test them out and keep you informed ...


make sure you do; it looks lovely but sounds a bit scary (it didn't before I knew the facts!)
ReplyDeleteI just changed my Skype address again because the 2 clients that want to contact me on it could google the name & find this blog & I'd like to keep it private! The new one is more generic & can be used for both. x